Spring is coming, and that means barbecues! This easy cheesy BBQ chicken sub is the perfect addition to any get together, because you make it in the oven. While the burgers, dogs, chops, and steaks are searing on the grill, this great BBQ chicken sub recipe can be doing its thing in the oven.
I love spring. Especially THIS spring. This spring marks the end of the sub-arctic Hell that was the winter of 2014. And with the warm weather, soft breezes, and budding plants comes BARBECUE! It’s more than just the food – although that IS awesome. It’s the celebration of family, friends, eats, and togetherness. And what better way to spend the time than barbecuing? That’s why I love these cheesy BBQ chicken sub sandwiches. They just scream spring.
I mean just look at that picture! It’s a barbecue lover’s dream. The cheese. The sauce. The crispy-on-the-outside-soft-in-the-middle bun. Take in the sheer yumminess of it all. This easy cheesy BBQ chicken sub has everything: the flavor, the look, and – most importantly – the ease. This BBQ chicken sub is made in the oven. That serves double duty. For one thing it frees up the grill for the burgers, dogs, and whatnot. Another bonus is that it frees up me, my mother-in-law, and the rest of the girls to have some quality girl time. We can cook the chicken – code for sit and chat – while Miles, my dad, and the rest of the boys stand around in a smokey haze. 😉
Seriously, though, this BBQ chicken sub recipe is really easy to make. All you need is one pan and one baking dish, and it’s not the kind of easy BBQ recipe that uses jarred sauce. Nope, this BBQ chicken sub masterpiece is 100% home made. Note: You CAN use jarred sauce, but it’s so easy to make the home made stuff, you should give it a try.
Easy Cheesy BBQ Chicken Subs Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1/2 Onion, Diced Finely
- 1 Cup Ketchup
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Molasses
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Distilled Vinegar
- 1/8 Teaspoon Salt
- Nonstick Spray
- 4 Sub Rolls or Hoagie Rolls
- 1 Pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 4 Slices Colby Jack or Cheddar Cheese, Cut In Half
- BBQ Sauce, From Recipe Above, or 2 Cups of Your Own Favorite BBQ Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a baking dish with nonstick spray; set aside.
- **In a medium sauce pot, add the oil and turn heat to medium. Add garlic and onion; saute for 3-4 minutes or until onions are translucent. Turn heat to low; add brown sugar, ketchup, molasses, vinegar, worcestershire sauce, and salt; whisk slowly to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook, simmering, for at least 15 minutes. Stir and set aside.
- Place chicken in baking dish (large enough that chicken isn’t touching), and cover with 1 cup of BBQ sauce; spread around to evenly coat chicken. Place in preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through. Remove chicken from oven.
- Place chicken onto a cutting board and using 2 forks, shred the chicken. Place chicken back into baking dish, add 1?2 cup additional BBQ sauce and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Cut the rolls on the long edge, creating a deep pocket, but careful not to slice all the way through. Spread 1?4 of the chicken over each bun, top with 2 halves of cheese, close top and serve immediately.
There you have it. The easiest, most delicious cheesy BBQ chicken sub you’ll ever make OR eat! And, seriously, who doesn’t love a good BBQ chicken sub? No one! That’s who! I posted the final pic of this BBQ chicken sub masterpiece below my parting words, because I think deliciousness should peak for itself. So fire up your oven, dust of the grill, and make this great recipe part of your barbecue festivities this spring!