The State of North Carolina has just announced the launch of a new initiative called, “Employ A Veteran Week”. During the week of Nov. 8-12, agencies, businesses, and nonprofits will be joining together to host a wide variety of events to help connect veterans to jobs and other services, according to an official press release from the state.
“Recruiting and hiring veterans is a sound strategy in today’s labor market, and we are committed to helping North Carolina businesses connect to veterans, who bring incredible talents, skills and experience to the workplace,” said N.C. Commerce Secretary Machelle Baker Sanders. “Our new ‘First in Talent’ strategic economic development plan calls for improving and expanding upon existing programs that assist veterans in transitioning to the civilian workforce, while informing employers of the benefits of hiring these heroes.”
Local events focused on helping veterans find jobs and access other services include:
- Tuesday Nov. 9 (8:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.) – Interviewing Skills Workshop/Veterans Appreciation Breakfast, followed by a Recruitment/Job Fair, at the NC Works Career Center, 1391 Bessemer City Road, Gastonia, NC.
- Tuesday, Nov. 9 (9 a.m. – noon) – Wilkes County Community Resource Fair for Veterans, at the NCWorks Career Center, 1320 West D Street, Suite 2, North Wilkesboro, NC.
- Tuesday, Nov. 9 (9 a.m. – 1 p.m.) – Veteran Appreciation & Community Hiring Event, at the Vance-Granville Community College Civic Center, 200 Community College Road, Henderson, NC.
- Tuesday, Nov. 9 (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.) – Veterans Job & Resource Fair, at the NCWorks Career Center, 111 Jordan Plaza, Elizabeth City, NC.
- Tuesday, Nov. 9 (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.) – Lenoir County Drive-Thru Veterans Resource Fair, at the NCWorks Career Center, 231 Highway 58 South, Kinston, NC.
- Tuesday, Nov. 9 (10 am-2 pm) – Veterans Day Job Fair, presented by the NCWorks Career Center in Craven County in partnership with Dayspring Ministries, at 1246 Pollock Street, New Bern, NC.
- Tuesday, Nov. 9 (1 – 4 p.m.) – HKY4Vets Virtual Hiring Event for Transitioning Military & Military Spouses, Hickory, NC (www.HKY4VETS.com).
- Tuesday, Nov. 9 (2 – 4 p.m.) – Rivers East Virtual Job Fair, open to veterans and the general public ().
- Wednesday, Nov. 10: NC4ME Virtual Hiring Event with the N.C. Department of Public Safety & the N.C. National Guard (nc4me.org/november/).
- Wednesday, Nov. 10 (9 a.m. – 3 p.m.) – Veterans Job & Resource Fair, at the NCWorks Career Center, 133 Island Ford Road, Statesville, NC.
- Wednesday, Nov. 10 (9 a.m. – 1 p.m.): Foothills Veterans Stand Down at the J.E. Broyhill Civic Center, 1909 Hickory Blvd., Lenoir, NC.
- Wednesday, Nov. 10 (10 a.m. – noon) – Sandhills Regional Job Fair at the National Guard Armory, 500 E. Morganton Road, Southern Pines, NC. The event is also open to the general public from 12:30-2:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, Nov. 10 (10 – 11 a.m.): Virtual Job Fair conducted by the Turning Point Workforce Development Board and NCWorks Career Centers in Rocky Mount, Wilson, and Roanoke Rapids (https://app.premiervirtual.com/events/d51dee86-7697-4d32-8b21-d116553dc3b5/turning-point-workforce-development-board-regional-virtual-job-fair). The event is also open to the general public from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Friday, Nov. 12 (10 – 11 a.m.): Veterans Outreach Event at the National Guard Armory, 301 S. Glenburnie Road, New Bern, NC. The event is also open to the general public starting at 11 a.m.