A portable Wi-Fi router is a type of Internet router that helps you connect your devices to the network. A portable router is wireless and usually uses the Internet from a SIM card, Local Area Network (LAN) connection, or public Wi-Fi.
A portable Wi-Fi router establishes a secure and private Internet connection. It lets multiple devices like phones, laptops, tablets, and more to share a single Internet connection. It uses the data from a source and creates a hotspot. Devices may then be connected to this hotspot and users will have access to the Internet.
Features of a portable Wi-Fi router
Most portable routers are small in size and measure a few inches only. This small size makes it easy to carry them around and even keep in your pocket for instant Internet connection.
2. Ability to tether
Portable devices are available in many types. Usually they are able to tether to the LAN connection of the Internet network. Some Wi-Fi routers may also tether to the 3G or 4G data connection of your telecom provider.
Most good portable routers have a built-in battery. Such devices may function completely wirelessly if you use your SIM card to create the hotspot. This makes them very easy and convenient to use.
4. Wi-Fi support
Some advanced models of portable routers may also join hotspots and then share that connection with other devices.
5. Multiple devices
Devices like these work as an excellent solution for anyone who has access to only one connection but needs to use multiple devices simultaneously.
How to use a portable Wi-Fi router
A portable Wi-Fi router may connect to the Internet in multiple ways. Some of the major ways to use a portable Wi-Fi router are given below:
1. Using an Ethernet connection
This method is useful when you only have access to one Ethernet or LAN connection, but you have multiple devices that need to be connected to the Internet.
- Plug the cable into the designated port on the Wi-Fi router
- Go to the device settings and turn on the Wi-Fi
- Connect to the network set up by the router and you are good to go
2. Using a cellular network
This method is only possible if your portable Wi-Fi router has a slot for SIM. By this method, you may use your 3G or 4G Internet network without any external connection.
- Put the SIM card into the designated tray in the router
- Switch on the router and connect it to a power outlet in case it is not charged.
- Connect your devices to the hotspot created
3. Using public Wi-Fi
Ensure that you have an advanced router that may connect to any public Wi-Fi and create a secure connection.
- Connect your router to the public Wi-Fi by putting in the password
- Go to the settings or control panel of your device
- Connect to your portable router to gain access to a private and secure connection.
Portable routers have made life easy because they enable you to be connected to secure and high-speed Internet even on the go.