There are many types of legal specialisation, but what traits and characteristics distinguish personal injury lawyers from other types of lawyers?
Personal injury law is one of the most complicated fields of law to understand, and you should never try to represent yourself when you’re involved in an accident that resulted in injuries. A lawyer, on the other hand, possesses the knowledge and expertise to lobby for your rights. But, can you hire any lawyer to be your legal counsel for a personal injury case? There are a lot of lawyers that you can choose from, but keep in mind that their services will differ depending on their specialised area of expertise.
When thinking about lawyers, people often conjure images of ones working in the courtroom to fight over legal matters. However, there are many types of lawyers for different types of needs. But, in general, these professionals have one main goal in mind—to ensure that their clients’ rights are protected at all times.
Various traits and characteristics distinguish a personal injury attorney from other types of lawyers. While a personal injury attorney and a civil lawyer are both professionals who help settle disputes, the differences in the laws and policies of these two fields make them distinct from each other. This article helps clarify some of these common discrepancies between personal injury attorneys and other types of lawyers.
Different Types Of Lawyers
These are the common types of lawyers as well as their respective purposes:
- Business Lawyer: A business lawyer may either be a transactional or litigation attorney. Both types of lawyers deal with businesses and the laws that govern them.
- Civil Litigation Lawyer: You’ll need to hire a civil litigation attorney if you’ve been sued for any reason. Also referred to as a trial lawyer, they’ll represent you to dispute claims against you so you can avoid going to jail or paying for damages and penalties.
- Criminal Defense Lawyer: Everyone is deemed ‘innocent until proven guilty,’ and this is the reason why one would want to hire an expert criminal defense attorney.
- Family Lawyer: Any legal dispute that concerns a family lawyer should handle the family, also called a divorce lawyer or domestic relations attorney.
- Personal Injury Lawyer: There are many instances why one will need to hire a personal injury lawyer, and it’s not just for car crash-related cases. If you experience any physical injury because of the negligence of another individual or entity, you should call a personal injury lawyer. A personal injury may result from vehicular accidents, medical malpractice, slip-and-fall cases, animal attacks, and more. When hiring a lawyer to handle a personal injury case for you, it’s crucial to look for one that specialises in tort law. A specialized personal injury lawyer will have the experience and knowledge to effectively represent you and get you the compensation you deserve. They will know the ins and outs of the law as it pertains to your specific case, and they will be able to navigate the complex legal system to get you the best possible outcome.
- Real Estate Lawyer: A lawyer who handles real estate legal matters can help you when it comes to property problems. What makes a real estate attorney distinct from a trust and estates lawyer is that the former handles cases concerning boundaries and zoning classifications as opposed to real estate inheritance.
- Traffic Lawyer: You may have never heard of a traffic lawyer, but this type of legal counsel is crucial when handling driving-related offenses, which are more common than you think. If you’re slapped with any traffic infraction including a DUI offense, it’s best to call a good traffic attorney.
- Trusts And Estates Lawyer: Many people consult a trust and estates attorney to ensure that their money and property will be handled in their preferred manner upon their demise.
There are many other types of personal injury lawyers as well. Some personal injury lawyers work with people who’ve been injured at work, through a car accident, and more. These types of lawyers work with people who may be at fault in an accident or have been negligent in some way. These lawyers are specialised and work on a contingency basis, meaning they’re paid only if their client wins in court. If you have any legal matters to attend to, it’s crucial to find the right type of lawyer that understands what you need to accomplish.
Difference Between Personal Injury Attorneys and Other Types Of Lawyers
It’s only natural to want to hire a lawyer who you feel understands your case, is compassionate, and has a good grasp of the legal system, therefore resolving or avoiding any potential legal issues that you may have.
Understanding Of Personal Injury Law
The main difference between a general lawyer and a personal injury attorney, and other types of legal counsel is the personal injury lawyer’s knowledge of ‘tort law.’ Personal injury laws govern them. These laws are designed to protect an individual’s rights when they become a victim of someone else’s wrongful conduct. Personal injury cases deal mainly with damages to the victim or their property.
Victims are required to file a complaint through the local police or other legal bodies. If they’re unable to do so, their case can be represented by a qualified personal injury lawyer. In behalf of their clients, a personal injury attorney gathers evidence before filing a personal injury claim. The victim, with the help of a lawyer, should collect and present pieces of evidence to prove the accident happened and whether they’re fault or not. The case may be settled privately or presented in front of a court where a judge and jury hear it.
Reasons To Hire A Personal Injury Lawyer
The type of lawyer you should hire should be a professional with the proper knowledge, training, and skills. While you may hire a general practice lawyer for a personal injury claim that you want to file, you’ll get better results in working with a lawyer with expert knowledge on injury and accident laws.
These are the main and important reasons to hire a personal injury lawyer and not just any kind of lawyer when you’ve been injured or a victim of negligence:
- They can manage the entire case from start to end, including gathering evidence or proof to support your claim.
- They evaluate how the accident affected you physically and emotionally, quantifying the damages and injuries to assess your potential compensation claim.
- They safeguard your interests and rights, as well as ensure that you obtain just compensation for injuries or damages to property.
- One of the most significant roles of a personal injury attorney is to prove that the accident or injuries were not the fault of their client. An experienced tort lawyer can establish proof to ensure that your claim withstands.
One thing that you shouldn’t forget is that a personal injury attorney vs other types of lawyers are not always an apples and oranges comparison. The laws and policies of each profession are unique and will differ in the kind of work they do. If you want to know how a civil lawyer or a personal injury lawyer will do in your case, you should ask for references or look online for some personal experiences of people who’ve worked with them. If you feel like your case is similar to theirs, you should probably go with them because you’re somewhat guaranteed that they’ll represent your best interests in court.